Monday, March 28, 2011

Apparently a big backside, a leaked tape and a pretty face is all it takes to be a popular celebrity

Alternative title: the one where I rant


Sitting down in front of the television to unwind at the end of a long tiring day is not an unwelcome idea. But the unwinding does not happen, unless it is something that I enjoy watching. A good movie, some music, a travel or food programme or something that explores nature are all welcome.

What I cannot

~absolutely cannot stand~

are reality shows which appear to show aimless chaotic lifestyles of people.

Often, these shows seem infested with dim-witted bimbos who don't seem to have an ounce of intelligence or talent

and just catching a glimpse of some of these airheads as I flick the channels

is enough to annoy me.

But then, the b.s. doesn't stop there, does it?

Walk into any newsagent or stop by a magazine stand,

and they are there again,

often with huge headlines that seem to confirm their mindlessness

~for example, claiming that her dream job, if not for the fame of reality TV, would be to be a make up artist for crime scene investigators~

But these shows won't be on TV unless there was a demand for it, right?

I do not understand the craze for reality TV,

except to think of it as some form of voyeurism.

Tell me ...

do you watch any reality shows?

~and please don't tell me that the antics of the KK sisters are among them~

11 comments:

Leenie said...

I-DO-NOT-GET-IT-EITHER!??? It is so scary to think there are enough bimbos and dufuses to keep these shows and tabloids in business. I'm with you on this one.

Jillsy Girl said...

99.9 of them I feel exactly like you. it aggravates me to even click past them, BUT...for some unknown reason and embarrassing admission, if I click on the Kardashians, I get sucked in and can't turn it off. :-)

sarah said...

I'm completely with you on this one, and will refrain from my own rant because I try to be polite in other people's comboxes.

I do watch one reality show, however. I've watched Survivor since episode two (I spent all of the first season ranting against the very idea of the programme.) To me, it is a fascinating anthropological exercise. My dd and I always curl up with cups of tea to watch it and laugh at the silly people.

But everything else ... from American Idol to The Biggest Loser (I will even turn off ads for that disgusting foul programme) ... I loathe.

PaperPumpkin said...

I am right with you! I despise "reality" TV!!!! I hope children don't get to view it and think that it is indeed, reality. How offensive...

Mlle Paradis said...

uh oh! we would like to think that somehow you would be immune and far enough away from that kind of programming. what a world we live in!!!!!

and totally agree with you, not enough nature programming. i for one, would like the bbc to rebroadcast every gardening show they've ever made!

kisses! i'm going to look at your duck picture(s) now!

Nammi said...

there are two kinds of reality shows, the ones i hate are with idiots like kardashians who seem to be everywhre now adays,dont and then there are good ones like top chef , master chef and project runway where people actually do something! Even unsubscribed my E! channel cause I got sick of seeing all the bimbo stuff!

Katy Noelle said...

Hmmmm! Don't get tv channels 'up here in dem hills'. =] I've heard about it all, though, and see the magazine headlines and ROLL my eyes.

Claudie said...

I was just asking me if i had read something of you about TV?
You succeed to make so much things in a week, work, kitchen, family, pictures, playing... and telling it for us... I thought you couldn't spend too much time in front of the TV, and children the same... they are so creative ...

I look at movies, and news (too much, i prefer on the net, but my husband continues to look at news on TV) and reports about nature, travel or society.
The only live show we followed was a cooking competition : "Masterchef".
Because they found and gived a lot of ideas... But i hate the manner and the voice they always repeat what happened.

Sarah said...

No!-and I never know who the people in those magazines are. I do like 'Come Dine With Me'-not sure if it is a reality show or not!

GB said...

Nope. I don't get them at all. Total waste of time as far as I am concerned! I can't read any of those magazines either--the people watch stuff and celeb mags--not.my.cup.of.tea.

RNSANE said...

I have to admit to watching "Dancing With the Stars" -I've always loved ballroom dancing and I enjoy seeing the progress people make over the season - though I don't think people are fairly equipped in the competence arena. I also watch the "Bachelor" and "Bachelorette" series which I find outrageous. How someone could seriously pick a mate while carrying on with a bevy of other competitors at the same time seems preposterous to me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...